Le Grand Conseil de la Nation Waban-Aki Inc., founded in 1979, is a Tribal Council grouping the Abenaki bands Odanak and Wôlinak.
His primary mission, elaborated in December 1993, was revised and corrected at the request of the Administration Council, by a working committee comprised of members of Odanak and Wôlinak in March 1997.
From the eight goals set out in the letters patent of the Waban-Aki Corporation Inc., the appointed committee identified three main elements of its mission; representation, development and administration.
|Being the spokesman of both communities:|
|Defend the inherent rights of its members:|
|By publicizing these rights:|
|By enforcing :|
Ensure the economic development of the Abenakis :
- Identify the two communities shared priorities;
- Support the definition of common objectives in the short, medium and long term;
- Propose implementation scenarios;
- Participate in the implementation of the actions necessary to achieve the defined objectives;
- Participate in the periodic evaluation of progress in the implementation of objectives.
Provide administrative support to all services offered by the Department and other agencies to both populations:
- Complete administrative management of health services and social services;
- Administer for predefined periods and on behalf of the Band Councils, some services mandated by them;
- Give as needed and on demand, administrative support staff to each of the band councils.